I mentioned this in another post already, but I wanted to make sure to highlight this recipe – it is delicious. I found it last year, and it has been an off-and-on staple every since (I tend to cycle through recipes). Plus, unlike other healthy re-makes, this recipe has ingredients that are easy to find, inexpensive, and really tasty – while cutting out the junk!
I usually double this recipe for the two of us, and include some kale if I have it on hand. If you’re not big on kale, this is a good way to eat it – you barely notice the bitterness, but benefit from all the nutrients! You can use less garlic if you want, but we kind of love it so we use a little extra!
Creamed Spinach with Kale
adapted from Ask Georgie
1 teaspoon butter (or oil of your choice – I’ve also used coconut oil)
2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely minced
2 tablespoons of milk (I use 1%)
1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese, Original Swiss
2 big handfuls of Spinach, chopped with large stems removed
1 big handful of Kale, chopped with large stems removed
How to Make it:
- Melt the butter (or oil) in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, and cook until fragrant and just slightly browned.
- Add milk and cheese wedge, and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add the kale and spinach, and allow to cook in the sauce until wilted (stirring occasionally).
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for a few more minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow the sauce to thicken just a bit more before serving.
Give this a try. Jeb isn’t crazy about the taste of vegetables, but whenever I make this, he devours it!
Oh, and there’s no picture – we always eat it all before I remember to take one!