I love bananas, and we buy them in bulk (and NEVER run out!). It’s rare that we actually let any bananas get so ripe that we won’t eat them. But, when such a
not so sad day arrives, I like to make banana bread. There are so many recipes out there, and I love them all – whether a traditional loaf made with walnuts, or this Banana Nutella Swirl Cake. Lately, though, I find myself reaching for this recipe. It combines three of my favorite foods – chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas. This recipe is moist, decadent, and not SO bad for you (since most of the sweetness comes from the bananas, and most of the fat comes from natural peanut butter). Let’s be honest, though – these are NOT health food, but as far as treats go, they aren’t too bad. I like to make mine in a bar pan (kind of like a muffin pan, but with square holes) for easy portion control. Give it a try!
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread Bars
from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter (I like Teddie)
1 cup ripe bananas, smashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray bar pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until combined. Add peanut butter and bananas (I just add them whole and let the mixer do the work!).
- Mix in egg and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture, and beat until combined.
- Pour in milk, and mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Optional – before adding chocolate chips, let your dog lick the beater!
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop batter evenly into the 12 sections of the bar pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cook in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
P.S. I like these best when they are lightly toasted with a little butter! 🙂